The Local Government Pension Scheme (“LGPS”) is a public service pension scheme and one of the largest pension schemes in the UK. It is administered locally in England and Wales by 86 separate local pension funds.
Cleveland & Co are delighted to be one of a select group of 10 law firms that have been appointed to the National LGPS Framework for Legal Services, in Lot 4 – Investment Work (UK wide). The National LGPS Framework for Legal Services allows LGPS Funds and Pools to easily access expert legal advice related to their investment work.
How we can assist you
As part of the Investment Work, we have extensive experience across the following key areas:
- Investment management arrangements;
- Governance and compliance issues for FCA-authorised vehicles adopting a best practice approach to new regulation;
- Direct and indirect investments in infrastructure;
- Company secretarial matters and general corporate governance;
- Primary and secondary market private equity investments;
- Agreements for global custody and sub-custodian services, portfolio transition management, administration, use of derivatives and currency hedging, and other investment services;
- Negotiation of financial legal documents, including ISDA master agreements, commodity agreements, repurchase master agreements, securities lending master agreements and brokerage documentation;
- Advising on cross-border transactions between the UK and other EU jurisdictions, the US, off-shore and in others;
- Advising on and supporting LGPS funds with existing or potential pooling arrangements for investment services;
- Advising on general commercial and trust law issues, including commercial contracts;
- Advising on investment governance, including ESG considerations; and
How we work with your firm
We have built an outsourced in-house legal team to solve the legal resourcing and capacity challenges you face:
- Delegating legal work externally can be time consuming and inefficient. With us, you can be assured that our team will respond within 24 hours, and review within 48 hours.
- Regulations are changing all the time and inadequate contracts create risk for your business. With us, you don’t have to worry about the legal work and instead focus on growing your business.
- Recruiting for lawyers is exceptionally competitive. With us, you get on tap access to a global team of specialists for the cost of one person.
- It can be disruptive to your business when there is unexpected absence or turnover of staff. With us, you don’t lose the knowledge that is built over time.
- Unexpected legal fees and extortionate hourly rates are stressful to manage. With us, you have transparency and certainty on fixed fees per project or access to a monthly bundle of hours.
Please contact Leela Fair, Managing Director, EMEA, to find out more about how we can assist your firm.
For further information about the National LGPS Frameworks, please click here.
Leela Fair has grown with Cleveland & Co and quickly proven her capabilities becoming the Acting Managing Director of our UK office in early 2021. She oversees business development, client relationships, and all staff needs as well as supports the CEO on the day to day working of the business.
Leela has risen to senior management very quickly through her drive and invaluable experience in financial service. Leela’s experience covers private equity, traditional fund, and hedge fund sectors and includes advising and assisting a range of services providers within the asset management industry including investment managers, investment advisors, administrators, brokers, custodians, introducers, regulatory platforms, pension funds and placement agents.
Leela is a determined and ambitious professional who is adept at working in varied and fast paced environments. Leela’s motivation, versatility and unflappable attitude, make her a highly valued member of the Cleveland & Co team. When she’s not inspiring us running the day to day at Cleveland & Co, you can find Leela reading through a cookbook and planning the weekend menu!
- Leela has developed a variety of skills namely in relation to:
- ACD Arrangements
- Appointed Representative Arrangements
- Authorised funds (ACS, AUT, ICVC, UCITS and NURS)
- Broker Agreements
- Commercial Contracts
- Hedge Funds
- HR & Employment
- Intra-group Agreements
- Introducer Arrangements
- Listed Investment Companies
- Pooled Pension Funds
- Private Equity
- Real Estate
- Regulation, including: Capital Adequacy, Competition Law, FCA Rules & Guidance, GDPR, MiFID II, Prudential Requirements, SM&CR.
- Research Payments
- Service Agreements
- Sponsorship Arrangements
Qualified in England & Wales
- Border to Coast Pensions Partnership Limited: reviewing all documentation related to prospective investments (private equity, infrastructure, private debt, alternatives), managing side letter and MFN processes.
- Capital Group: carrying out an impact assessment, advising and updating legal documentation for MiFID II.
- Commodities World Capital: preparation of marketing documents, negotiation of all legal documents entered into between service providers and the AIFM, and liaising with Cayman and US counsel in relation to the launch of their Cayman fund.
- Fullerton –creating a global travelling portfolio policy and an assessment report advising on the impact of Capital Adequacy Requirements.
- Hambro Perks: reviewing investment documents for EIS/SEIS investments.
- Investment Association – reviewing member guidance, advising on regulatory issues such as MiFID II, Benchmark Regulations and the Market Abuse Regulations, and assisting with the launch of the IA’s Velocity FinTech Accelerator.
- J Stern: carrying out an impact assessment on research arrangements, advising and updating legal documentation for MiFID II and GDPR.
- Kin Capital: assisting with reviewing and updating appointed representative agreements, custodian terms of business and subscription and shareholder’s agreements.
- Mainspring: managing all custody agreement negotiations with their EIS/SEIS and private equity clients.
- Association of Women Solicitors
- Mentor, Amos Bursary Programme
- The Professional Skills Courses (Kaplan Altior, London)
- Litigation Programme (Kaplan Altior, London)
- Legal Practice Course (BPP Law School, London)
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (King’s College University, London)
- Conversational Italian