Colin Luk joined Cleveland & Co in 2022 to support the firm on various legal matters including investment management, regulatory, and commercial law matters. Colin holds a Bachelor of Arts in Communications degree from the University of California, San Diego and is a Juris Doctor graduate from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Prior to joining Cleveland & Co, Colin worked in various financial institutions serving the legal and compliance functions. Colin served as Head of Legal and Compliance at Altive Limited, where he worked on investment fund products, provided regulatory advice and responded to regulatory requests and inquiries. Colin also served in the legal and compliance departments at Income Partners Asset Management (HK) Limited and Argyle Street Management Limited, Hong Kong based investment management companies, where he worked on private equity and fixed income investment projects.
Colin also has experience working on corporate international expansion projects. He assisted Hong Kong based companies to expand internationally to Singapore, Australia and in mainland China.
Colin is passionate in making the world a better place. He is currently serving as a voluntary advisor to a UK based charity where he provides assistance in ensuring compliance with local company and charity laws and regulations, as well as the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Commercial contracts
- Corporate agreements
- Financial service regulations
- Introducer agreements
- International expansion
- Legal Research
- Service Agreements
Colin has gained his experience working at the following institutions:
- Altive Limited (Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia)
- Apoidea (Hong Kong)
- Income Partners Asset Management Limited (Hong Kong and Mainland China)
- Argyle Street Management Limited
- Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong)
- Société Générale (Hong Kong)
- B.A. Communications (University of California, San Diego)
- Juris Doctor (The Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional Europe (CIPP/E)
Leela Fair has grown with Cleveland & Co and quickly proven her capabilities becoming the Acting Managing Director of our UK office in early 2021. She oversees business development, client relationships, and all staff needs as well as supports the CEO on the day to day working of the business.
Leela has risen to senior management very quickly through her drive and invaluable experience in financial service. Leela’s experience covers private equity, traditional fund, and hedge fund sectors and includes advising and assisting a range of services providers within the asset management industry including investment managers, investment advisors, administrators, brokers, custodians, introducers, regulatory platforms, pension funds and placement agents.
Leela is a determined and ambitious professional who is adept at working in varied and fast paced environments. Leela’s motivation, versatility and unflappable attitude, make her a highly valued member of the Cleveland & Co team. When she’s not inspiring us running the day to day at Cleveland & Co, you can find Leela reading through a cookbook and planning the weekend menu!
- Leela has developed a variety of skills namely in relation to:
- ACD Arrangements
- Appointed Representative Arrangements
- Authorised funds (ACS, AUT, ICVC, UCITS and NURS)
- Broker Agreements
- Commercial Contracts
- Hedge Funds
- HR & Employment
- Intra-group Agreements
- Introducer Arrangements
- Listed Investment Companies
- Pooled Pension Funds
- Private Equity
- Real Estate
- Regulation, including: Capital Adequacy, Competition Law, FCA Rules & Guidance, GDPR, MiFID II, Prudential Requirements, SM&CR.
- Research Payments
- Service Agreements
- Sponsorship Arrangements
Qualified in England & Wales
- Border to Coast Pensions Partnership Limited: reviewing all documentation related to prospective investments (private equity, infrastructure, private debt, alternatives), managing side letter and MFN processes.
- Capital Group: carrying out an impact assessment, advising and updating legal documentation for MiFID II.
- Commodities World Capital: preparation of marketing documents, negotiation of all legal documents entered into between service providers and the AIFM, and liaising with Cayman and US counsel in relation to the launch of their Cayman fund.
- Fullerton –creating a global travelling portfolio policy and an assessment report advising on the impact of Capital Adequacy Requirements.
- Hambro Perks: reviewing investment documents for EIS/SEIS investments.
- Investment Association – reviewing member guidance, advising on regulatory issues such as MiFID II, Benchmark Regulations and the Market Abuse Regulations, and assisting with the launch of the IA’s Velocity FinTech Accelerator.
- J Stern: carrying out an impact assessment on research arrangements, advising and updating legal documentation for MiFID II and GDPR.
- Kin Capital: assisting with reviewing and updating appointed representative agreements, custodian terms of business and subscription and shareholder’s agreements.
- Mainspring: managing all custody agreement negotiations with their EIS/SEIS and private equity clients.
- Association of Women Solicitors
- Mentor, Amos Bursary Programme
- The Professional Skills Courses (Kaplan Altior, London)
- Litigation Programme (Kaplan Altior, London)
- Legal Practice Course (BPP Law School, London)
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (King’s College University, London)
- Conversational Italian